Tedious Town | 19th September 2011 | 17:36 PDT

I don't like the Chinatown areas within cities, not to be confused with China and their culture, because I find it to be deeply fascinating..

It's just that every one you visit a Chinatown it's always the same shit, you enter and area of dilapidated old buildings in the heart of the town which you gain access by going through some big cliché ornate gate, the city helps the 'atmosphere' by using a Chinese style font on road signs, with western businesses using Chinese characters and the local stores selling absolutely anything in buckets.

I don't get the appeal as to why so many tourist get so excited about these places that are essentially big flags saying “Look, you exploited us once – here's your reminder, forever!” and tourist go with so much enthusiasm it makes me want to openly weep, loudly.

Surely if they cared so much about Chinese culture they'd book a flight there because I can only imagine it's infinitely better than the snapshot dross Chinatowns presents to us... although, when they arrive I can only imagine they would get equally excited about 'Western World'

Putting my entire body's hatred to one side for a moment, I decide to bite the bullet and explore Vancouver's Chinatown, I really don't want to but seeing as it's the last place I've yet to visit within the central hub of Vancouver I thought, I may as well it could present something amazing that I'd overlooked in my stupid ways and seeing it's Canada's largest and one of North America's oldest chances were good.

Oh look a gate... I couldn't bring myself to take any more photos after this.

Walking down, through, around, peering, looking, up, down, admiring, strolling, in, out, mentally pointing, for an hour or so before finally concluding what it is I was really thinking about this place

Yep, this is certainly an area of dilapidated old buildings in the heart of the town which you gain access by going through some big cliché ornate gate, the city helps the 'atmosphere' by using a Chinese style font on road signs, with western businesses using Chinese characters and the local stores selling absolutely anything in buckets.

Well, that's time I'll never get back again. Thanks...

No comments: